Slow download speeds due to Window Auto-Tuning
We've observed users often having luck with the steps below to fix slow download speeds while using VRChat on Windows.
- Open an elevated command prompt by searching cmd from the Windows Start menu and opening it by right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator
- Run the following command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
- Restart your computer and run the following command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
- Restart your computer again and launch VRChat to see if your download speeds have improved
Slow download speeds can also be caused by a number of issues that are typically network-related. Here are a few things you can try:
- If you're using any security software on your device or your router, try temporarily disabling it or adding an exception for the VRChat application.
- Ensure your connection is not blocking any required ports by following the article here: Which ports do I need to open for VRChat?
- Try running VRChat on a different device using the same connection. If speeds seem faster, the issue is likely specific to your device or Windows installation.
- If you're on PC, ensure your network adaptor drivers are up to date.
If issues continue you can also check out our article for Troubleshooting Connection Issues with VRChat.